Over the last few years, the popularity of OTT services among mobile consumers has skyrocketed. Just how big is the market you wonder? Well, the experts over at mobilesquared, a leading provider of insight and intelligence on the mobile sector, have the answer.
Mobilesquared put together this 3-year-forecast outlining how the OTT services market will grow throughout 2017. The full report is chock full of interesting info and stats! We pulled a few of our favorites to give you an overview of just how many people are saving money and staying connected with OTT services like Voxox.
Here are our favorite 10 OTT services stats....
Image courtesy of Flickr user Mel Schmidt
- In the U.S. alone, there were 186.7 million smartphone users at the end of 2013, of which 93.4 million were using OTT communication services.
- By 2017, U.S. smartphone users will increase to 288.5 million, 230.8 million of which will also be OTT users.
- In 2013, OTT communications’ penetration of smartphone users reached 55%, and this will increase to 66% in 2017.
- The numer of smartphone users also using OTT communications will increase from 50% to 80% by the end of 2017.
- It is projected that the U.S. will account for 12% of total global smartphone-based OTT users by 2017.
- Over the next three years, the U.S. will remain the second largest mobile market in terms of both smartphone users and smartphone-based OTT communication users.
- The Top 5 smartphone-based OTT communication markets in 2013 were China, U.S., Brazil, India and Germany.
- China the leader in the OTT communications market, reached 445.9 million users in 2013, accounting for more than half of the top 5 markets combined!
- Cumulatively, the top 5 markets of 2013 totaled 624.1 million users and accounted for 67% of the total global.
- By 2017, the top 5 markets will total 1.3 billion users, though their contribution to total global users will have fallen to 62%.
Its apparent that OTT communication services will continue to dominate the moible marketplace as more and more smartphone users recognize the cost savings and conveniences associated with them.
Want more info on OTT services? Check out our Guide to Everything OTT and be sure to tell us why you switched to OTT services by commenting below or connecting with us on social media -- Facebook, Twitter.