What’s the one thing you spend the most time with every day? If you answered your smartphone, then you’re in the majority. In fact, a recent IDC study shows 79% of people have their smartphones with them 22 hours a day!
Mueller / MSC
Now that nowhere seems to be off limits for mobile usage, it’s interesting to know just where exactly these 22 hours are spent. To solve the mystery, Jumio did the dirty work of getting people to admit just where they used their phones. Here’s what they found…
- 33% of adults use mobiles while on dinner dates
- 55% of adults use them while at the movies
- 9% use mobiles during sex
- 19% reported using them at church
If those stats didn’t shock you, keep reading. To get an idea of just how much we rely on mobile devices to keep us in touch, here are some numbers on mobile usage and OTT communications apps that will blow your mind…
- Every 24 hours smartphone users send and receive 27 billion SMS text messages, download 189 million apps, place 12 billion and pay $1.1 billion in daily mobile payments. (Pew)
- In the U.S. alone, there were 186.7 million smartphone users at the end of 2013, of which 93.4 million were using OTT communication services. (Tyntec)
- The number of smartphone users also using OTT communications will increase from 50% to 80% by the end of 2017. (mobilesquared)
- Over the next three years, the U.S. will remain the second largest mobile market in terms of both smartphone users and smartphone-based OTT communication users. (mobilesquared)
- Last year, Americans used smartphone and tablet apps more than PCs to access the Internet. (CNN)
- 91% of U.S. adults now own a mobile phone; 61% of those are smartphones. (Nielsen)
- 72% of smartphone owners are within 5 feet of their devices the majority of the time. (Jumio)
- Within the first 15 minutes of waking, 4 out of 5 smartphone owners check their phones. (IDC)
- 25% of smartphone owners ages 18–44 say they “can’t recall the last time their smartphone wasn’t next to them.” (Fast Company)
- 12% people reported that they feel that their smartphone gets in the way of their relationship. (Jumio)
In a world where we’re constantly connected and instant communication is the norm, mobile ownership and the use of OTT communications apps have skyrocketed. As consumers continue to be attached to their mobiles, it’s obvious the use of OTT communications will grow exponentially -- especially as users recognize not only the cost value, but also the advanced technologies associated with them.
If you’re looking for more stats on OTT communications and the mobile world, check out these 10 OTT Services Stats that will Blow Your Mind. Plus, be sure to share why you love OTT apps by commenting below or connecting with us on social media -- Facebook, Twitter.